To be able to appraise a food and beverage operation the person(s) must know and understand the goals and objectives of the operation. Goals are broad intentions. Objectives are measurable outcomes indicating progress towards specific goals. A definition of F&B operational appraisal, is the measurement of achievement against the objectives.
The intention of most F&B operations is to provide profitable customer services. The level of profit will be determined by efficient use of resources as illustrated in the diagram below.
To match a customer service specification to an F&B operation you should consider the implications of attaining a precise service specification upon the productivity of the resources available.
- Service level – Delivering superior customer service increases the number of staff required and the level of expertise required. Service times increase subsequently customer turnover reduces. Providing higher service levels generally necessitates superior equipment. Consequently high labour and equipment costs should be factors of consideration when designing customer service specification.
- Service availability – Offering longer service times increases labour and material costs and reduces efficiencies of the facilities used. Best advice match labour and materials to forecast volume of business and adjust accordingly.
- Level of service – Increasing service levels will escalate the cost of materials and the number of staff required to deliver the higher specification. Enviably higher service standards necessitates premises befitting a sophisticated service offering with the result higher operating costs.
- Reliability of the service – To be able to offer a consistent product service both the number of staff plus the proportion and reliability of available equipment required will inevitably lead to higher cost.
- Flexibility of the service – Adding to standard product service offering will increase material and labour costs and will reduce the efficiency of the facilities being used.
When designing a service specification consider all five factors above doing so will predetermine the level of resource utilisation and level of efficiency possible. To summarise higher levels of customer service can lead to lower efficiency in the utilisation of resources. However it is possible to change service process to effect greater efficiency without altering customer process for example replacing silver service with plate service.
Poor Trip Advisory comments can destroy or make a business a success. This article seeks to provide you with pointers to convert negative reviews to glowing customer reports.
Overview of my working life journey to date.
To deliver a precise customer service specification you should consider the available resources and whether the service specification is a productive application of resources.
Trip Advisory can destroy or make a business. This presentation seeks to provide you with pointers to convert negative reviews to glowing customer reports.